A furry break from my typical Wednesday.

What do Wednesdays usually look like for me? I know you have been wondering. Well every Wednesday is just about like every other weekday for me. I come to work and sit at my desk.

Here is my desk. Pretty normal. Lots of water bottles – still pregnant so still very thirsty. Nothing to get excited about here.

Here is what is usually under my desk. A fairly normal trashcan. Some might even say boring, no?

Here is what was under my desk this morning:

That’s Watson with his travel water dish snoozing next to my desk.

Do I work for Google? Or a pet store? Or out of my home? Oh, no, no, no. I work in an office building, which also is a gallery for local artists, i.e. not a place typically friendly to a 79-pound, two-foot-tall, excessively energetic  Labradoodle.

To explain this break from my routine I must confess something that some of you probably already know:  I take my dog to doggy daycare just about every weekday. There is a place a block from my office so each morning Watson and I carpool, me to my office job and he to his job as a dog. It is great because I don’t want to leave him in his crate for 10  hours every day and it is a bit far to drive home everyday to let him out at lunch. This is not a permanent solution, obviously life and priorities will be different when the baby is here, but until now this has helped us survive three years of puppyhood with a Labradoodle without losing any furniture, walls, books, or shoes to his bored chewing.

Anyhow, confession aside, no one was at the daycare this morning which is atypical. There were four other people waiting. I decided to go over to my office and tell my coworker the situation and that I was headed back home and would be back later. Ugh. He said, “Just bring him inside. They do that downstairs all the time.” Oh really? Our company – consisting of three employees – rents the top floor of the building from the owner of the building who has four employees downstairs. I balked for a moment, but then realized that would be so much better than taking another 45 minutes to an hour to go drop off the dog at home. So I did it. And took pictures.

About half an hour later the owner of the doggy daycare called to apologize and came to pick up Watson. She is great, but it sounds like she has some unreliable employees. I really am not upset at all because clearly it worked out fine for me. I know some people are pretty fired up and the owner is going to have a rough day which I wish she didn’t have to go through.

But for us, we had a nice little character test. Watson got to prove that he can semi-calmly walk into a new environment and lay down calmly. I got to see him do it. Maybe someday he will be able to do it longer than 30 minutes. I imagine it would be nice to have your furry buddy next to you all day. Right now, though,  I’m grateful to return to a normal Wednesday.


One thought on “A furry break from my typical Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s